Updating to v3.2
We have recently released v3.2 of all products; this is a maintenance release that we strongly recommend all customers implement.
A potential vulnerability has been discovered in the AJAX controls that we license from Telerik. These updates resolve those vulnerabilities
as well as providing mechanisms for additional security for those licensed libraries.
Upgrading from from v3.1 to v3.2
Updating from v3.1.x to v3.2 is a fairly simple process. These instructions assume that the software is located under the c:\inetpub\wwwroot.
This TechNote will use Directory Update as an example. For other versions of the software simply replace DirectoryUpdate with the product you are using.
If you have a Directory Update v3.1 license key, it will work with v3.2. (Note: Directory Search v3.2 does require a new license key. Please contact support if you need an updated key.)
Updating requires that you backup the old version, uninstall the old version, and delete all of the old version's files and folders!!!
- Make sure that the Windows Server operating system is fully patched including any updates related to the .NET Framework
- Make a backup of the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DirectoryUpdate folder and all subfolders
- In Control Panel - Programs and Features, uninstall Directory Update
- Delete the original c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DirectoryUpdate folder
- Install Directory Update v3.2
- Test the default installation of Directory Update v3.2 to make sure it works
- Make a backup copy of the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DirectoryUpdate\Settings folder
- Copy the all of the XML files (in the old .\Settings folder) from the backup you made in Step 2 in to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DirectoryUpdate\Settings folder
- Test Directory Update v3.2 with the XML files from your older build
- If you had enabled Integrated Windows Authentication, edit the web.config file and make sure the authentication type is set to "Windows"
- If you have a custom logo, make sure to copy your logo file to the correct location
- If you have customized any email templates, make a backup copy of the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DirectoryUpdate\EmailTemplates folder and then copy your email templates from the backup you made in Step 2
This process should update the software effectively.
Directory Manager Advanced - Additional Steps
The Advanced Mode settings, configuration files, and user creation templates are stored separately from the reset of Directory Manager. After completing the upgrade of the base Directory Manager product above, use these steps to upgrade the Advanced Mode templates.
- Make a backup of the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DirectoryManager\AdvancedMode folder and all subfolders
- Copy the backup of the AdvancedModeSettings.XML file (from the backup you made before starting the update of Directory Manager) in to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DirectoryManager\AdvancedMode\Settings folder and overwrite the existing file.
- Copy the backup of the Email Templates (from the backup you made before starting the update of Directory Manager) in to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DirectoryManager\AdvancedMode\EmailTemplates folder and overwrite the existing files.
- Copy the backup of the User Creation Templates from the backup you made before starting the update of Directory Manager) in to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DirectoryManager\AdvancedMode\UserCreationTemplates folder and overwrite the existing files.
Upgrading from v2.x or v3.0
Updating software from an older version (the v2.x family or v3.0) requires updating the DirectorySettings.XML, AppSettings.XML, and
PasswordSettings.XML files. This is accomplished with an XML Updater wizard. Make sure you have made a full backup of the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\directoryupdate
folder and all subfolders. Ensure that you will have access to the files in that folder structure since they will be needed after the upgrade.
Instructions for performing updates from older versions to v3.2 can be found on each product's Documentation page under the Upgrading section.
Last review: 16 Jan 2021